What is better, a plastic shed or a wooden shed?
There is no correct answer to this question. The choice between a wooden shed and a plastic shed depends on your specific needs and preferences.
Wooden sheds are typically more durable and can be customized to suit your needs. They also have a more traditional, natural look that may blend in better with a wooded or rural environment.
A wooden shed can be quite durable if it is constructed properly and maintained well. The durability of a wooden shed will depend on factors such as the quality of the wood used, the type of foundation it is built on, and how well it is protected from the elements. Regularly staining or painting the shed can help protect the wood from rot and insect damage.
Some advantages of a wooden shed include:
- Natural insulation that can help keep the interior temperature stable
- Aesthetically pleasing and can blend in well with outdoor surroundings
- Durable and long-lasting if properly maintained
- Can be customized and painted to match the look of your home
- Affordable compared to other materials such as metal or vinyl
- Easy to repair and can be disassembled and moved if needed.
- Strong enough to hold heavy items such as gym equipment, motorbikes and hot tubs.
You can find a range of our best selling wooden sheds on our website
Some potential disadvantages of a wooden shed include:
- Vulnerability to rot, decay, and insect damage if not properly maintained
- Susceptibility to fire if not treated with fire-retardant chemicals
- Potential for warping or cracking in extreme weather conditions
- Requirement for regular staining or painting to protect the wood and maintain its appearance
- Higher cost compared to sheds made of other materials such as plastic.
Plastic sheds, on the other hand, are generally more affordable, low-maintenance and are resistant to rot, decay and pests. They come in a variety of colors and styles and are easy to assemble.
The durability of a plastic shed can vary depending on the quality of the materials and construction. In general, plastic sheds are known for being lightweight, weather-resistant, and low maintenance, but they may not be as durable as metal or wood sheds in extreme conditions or over a long period of time. It’s important to research the specific model of plastic shed you are considering to get an idea of its durability and to ensure that it meets your needs.
Some advantages of a plastic shed include:
- Low maintenance: Plastic sheds do not require regular painting or staining, making them easy to maintain.
- Durable: Plastic is resistant to rot, decay, and pests, making it a durable option for outdoor storage.
- Lightweight: Plastic sheds are typically lightweight and easy to move, making them a good option if you need to relocate your shed in the future.
- Affordable: Compared to other materials, plastic sheds are generally more affordable and can be a cost-effective option.
- Weather resistant: Plastic sheds are resistant to most weather conditions and will not rust, rot or dent.
- Variety of sizes and styles: Plastic sheds come in a variety of sizes and styles, making it easy to find one that suits your needs and preferences.
Some disadvantages of a plastic shed include:
- Limited lifespan: Plastic sheds have a limited lifespan compared to other materials like wood or metal.
- Not as strong: Plastic sheds are not as strong as wood or metal sheds and may not be able to hold as much weight or withstand heavy winds.
- Limited customization: Plastic sheds have limited options for customization and may not be able to be painted or stained.
- Not as attractive: Plastic sheds may not have the same aesthetic appeal as wood or metal sheds and may not blend in as well with the surrounding environment.
- Can be affected by UV rays: Plastic sheds can be affected by UV rays over time and can become brittle, discolored or warp, which can affect its durability and functionality.
- Not fire resistant: Plastic sheds are not fire-resistant and can be easily damaged if exposed to fire.
Ultimately, both wooden and plastic sheds have their own advantages and disadvantages and you will need to consider factors such as cost, durability, maintenance and style before making a decision.
Here at Sheds N Chalets, we only manufacture wooden sheds, however, we use the highest quality kiln dried Swedish red wood. Every single piece is scanned and graded for quality, giving you peace of mind that we’re using the best-quality timber available. We offer a made to measure service, we do not keep anything in stock, every building is made to each customers specifications, meaning you can have any size, and any design. Our prices include delivery and installation, so everything is taken care of for you. Take a look at how they are made here.
With the right after care treatment, our sheds have been known to last over 20 years. We also offer a service of dismantling your shed and moving it to a different location. We also offer a repair service and go above and beyond with our after sales service, making sure your shed will have a maximum life span.